Our Wine Estate

Historic origins…

A classic Burgenland “Langstreckhof” farmhouse, originally used for mixed agriculture, is home to Birgit and her wines. Barrels, amphorae and people thrive and evolve an environment with positive energy in the heart of Purbach on Lake Neusiedl.

 

Land and soil…

Next to all the progress and development in the life of a vintner, the one constant is the land and soil in which her vines root and ripen grapes. 22 hectares planted with 10 grape varieties are Birgit’s base for creation. Situated on the slopes of the Leitha Mountains in the heart of the Leithaberg DAC wine region, the vines are significantly influenced by pure limestone, crystalline quartz, schist and a unique climate between the lake and the mountains. These vines are ideal partners for Birgit’s work in creating terroir wines, wines that express a unique origin.

Born to be a vintner…

Wines have been produced on Birgit’s estate in Purbach ever since 1632. This tradition obliges respect for nature, wine, and people. This legacy is being passed further to Birgit’s twin sons who are also on the road to becoming vintners. Living joy!

 

Heart and mind…

After studying economy at university, Birgit found her way back to her family’s wine estate. She combines knowledge and sensitive intuition in her partnership with Nature to accompany her wines to perfect structure, minerality and ripeness. Birgit fulfils her life’s dream as a vintner.

Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching. Live like it is heaven on earth.

The only necessary intervention in the vineyard for high-quality, expressive wines is the reduction of yield volume. Great wines that carry the signature of the vintner are achieved through selective manual harvest and skilful vinification.

Meticulous attention is paid that every grape variety is grafted on the rootstock that is best suited to the soil in which it is planted. The correct height of the fruit zone and leaf canopy warm grapes and optimize sugar ripeness. Partial leaf removal in the fruit zone enhances aeration to promote grape health and prevent fungal disease.

90 % of wine quality is achieved through rigorous work in the vineyard; the remaining 10 % is decided in the winery cellar.

The Pannonian climate provides wine elegance.

The Pannonian climate is marked by cold, damp winters, hot, dry summers and long, mild autumns. Lake Neusiedl regulates the climate. It moderates the most extreme temperatures during the day and extends vines’ vegetative period to 250 days in the year. The grapes thus achieve optimal ripeness and yield particularly elegant wines.

The foundation for this elegance is a tightly woven tannin structure and highly balanced acidity. Lake Neusiedl creates a cold air dam in the night and halts ripening for a few hours. The extraordinary fruit, aroma and finesse of the wines bear testimony.

The mineral-rich soils lend wine delicate structure.

Despite the homogenous climate, the wine region on Lake Neusiedl yields remarkably diverse wines. This is due to the variation in soils. Calcareous layers are interrupted with metamorphic rock.

Gneiss and mica schist covered with pure shell limestone dominate the Leitha Mountain slopes. Marl, loam and crystalline quartz comprise the topsoil.

The Leitha Mountain region is one of Austria’s best wine origins.

Some of Austria’s very best vineyards are dispersed on the sunny slopes of the Leitha Mountains with a view of Lake Neusiedl in Burgenland. The sun, the unique soil composition and shielding forest are the region’s secrets to expressive wines with tremendous potential.

Birgit Braunstein’s wines grow in the Thenau, Glauberinza, Goldberg, Heide, Felsenstein and Mitterjoch vineyards.